Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:29:40 -0600

>Fiddle-de-dee! I stated the problem very clearly.  I am asking you to
>"diagnose" nothing but simply to explain to me and the list why
>hammering the bridge from the two directions results in two very
>different qualities and quantities of noise, whereas applying a
>tuning fork respectively to the side of the bridge and to the top of
>the bridge results in two sounds that are virtually identical.  All
>that is needed to answer the question is a basic understanding of
>what is happening, an understanding that this whole discussion has
>given you ample opportunity to gain but which you have stedfastly
>refused to absorb.

I don't know why the difference in sound. I also don't know why, if the
energy goes directly through the bridge without moving it, and into the
soundboard which then moves, why touching the fork to the exposed edge of
the soundboard won't produce the same tone as pressing it against the top
surface. Perhaps you can explain it to me.

I don't refuse to absorb it John, I don't think it is correct.

>>And this has what to do with bridges and soundboards?
>
>If you can't see the connexion after having three people attempt at
>great length to get you to see, then I must assume there is no point
>in further clarification.

I asked because I can't seem to get a simple question of my own answered
along these same lines. How small does a movement have to be to be non
existent?

Ron N