Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:13:01 -0600

>You are asking the list and me to accept that a variation in tension
>of a few pounds at most due to the trasverse vibrations of two
>strings is sufficient to cause a rocking of a long bridge firmly
>glued to a soundboard and held in position at its top by over ten
>tons force?  You'd have the bridge in smithereens before you could
>rock it with a crowbar let alone such a minute force.

At what point does a movement become small enough to not exist?

>>  >I say that the sound emitted from the soundboard will be practically
>>>identical whether the two strings (according to your theories) are
>>>acting in concert to move the soundboard in one direction or whether
>>>they are counteracting each other and therefore quite unable to
>>>produce any movement.
>>>
>>>Answer me that.
>>>
>>>JD
>>
>>If the strings moving in opposition could be kept exactly out of phase,
>>that could very well be correct for the reasons I gave above.
>
>It will be correct with or without any of your impossible hypotheses.
>It happens all the time when a piano is played.  The net force
>exerted by the strings that might tend to move the bridge in any
>direction is on average zero.  This would mean that by the laws of
>probability there would frequently occur a zero force and, according
>to you, total silence.  Very embarrassing for the sensitive pianist!
>
>JD

No, I was agreeing that the piano would still sound for the reasons I gave
above. Why would I say that the bridge would move but the piano wouldn't
sound?

Ron N