Samick#

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:14:24 -0600

>You numbers guys. You think you know everything
>
>But how did it sound??????????????????????
>
>;-)
>
>Terry Farrell

Bright, but a whole lot prettier after it was tuned, and it did just fine.
It was last tuned in April 2000, and was from 6-10bps low from octave 5 1/2
and into 7, going from 10bps low to a semitone sharp from one note to the
next. A real waker upper. The other three pianos in the same convent were
similar in tuning, but not as sharp at the top end. Middle on pitch, low
bass sharp. I guess he really gave it his all for the sanctuary piano.

In this same complex, in the "museum" room of the original wing, they have
an old Chickering (about 8', I'd say), that all the tuners in town
condemned as untunable twenty years ago and most of the rebuilders made
estimates on. None of the estimates were accepted, so it's still dead.
Beautiful but not extravagant case veneer, with a tail wide enough to
intimidate an old draft horse. Massive old thing, pretty much owns the room
it sits in. Looms in, might be more appropriate. In the same room, they
also have a heavy but very nicely proportioned table made from a cut down
square piano. Someone got the case depth just right so that in spite of all
that carving, trim, and leg, it sits there quite graceful and light. Joe
Garret might not be all that enthusiastic about it, but I'm pretty sure
Newton would approve.

Tuned in a maximum security prison and a convent all within a week. Sure
hope Christmas gets past soon. I'm starting to feel like I'm living in a
Fellini film.

Ron N