Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:59:00 +0000

At 8:35 PM -0800 12/18/01, Carl Meyer wrote:

>  > a)  I take a small tack hammer and tap the bridge lightly but firmly
>>  on its top.  I then give a similar tap with the hammer on the side of
>>  the bridge.  The difference in the sound produced is very markedly
>>  different in the two cases.  It needs no trained ear to tell them
>>  apart.
>
>How is it different?  Loudness, pitch or timbre?

All three, though to talk of the pitch of a noise rather than a sound
is complicated.

>  > b)  I take a tuning fork or small tone generator and apply it first
>>  to the top of the bridge and then to the side of the bridge.  The
>>  sound emitted from the soundboard is the same in both cases.
>>

>Is it the same in loudness, pitch and timbre?

Yes, so far as I can tell with multiple tests using a simple tuning
fork. A more thoroughly convincing test would use an electrical tone
generator of some kind.

JD