Another Newbie

Knabe dknabe@airmail.net
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:05:58 -0600

I'm a new comer to PTG and to the list (1 month), and wanted to put out a
short introduction.

I've been an amateur piano tuner for about 20 years. I keep my own and the
church's pianos (and occasional borrowed harpsichord) in tune. I first
started tuning with an HP spectrum analyzer in the early '80's. In the past
4 years I've discovered Tunelab, and have been steadily refining my ear. My
goals are to learn about actions and voicing to get better sound out of the
piano's that I maintain. I've joined the local Dallas PTG chapter and there
are some wonderful folks there, but the meetings are only once per month.

The piano's I keep in tune are a Mason and Hamlin AA-X Grand, a Wm Knabe AX
Grand, and a Kawai KG-2C (ours).

What's a good resource to learn about actions and voicing? I don't know the
first thing about actions. There are touch problems with the Kawai, and a
let-off problem with one note on the M&H. I do have the book "Piano
Servicing Tuning and Rebuilding" by Reblitz.

I'm employed full time as an engineer at a large semiconductor company, so
this is just a hobby for me - or may end up being a retirement business for
me in a few years (4-6).

Best regards,
Doug Knabe
dknabe@airmail.net