Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 01:59:37 -0800

Ron,
     It should be easy to see from recent posts that at least two people, and
possibly more, separated by a large and wet ocean and part of a continent,
never having laid eyes on each other and never having spoken or communicated
directly, except by this list have arrived at essentially similar conclusions.
So your count, had it been accurate, would have been at least two.  I daresay
there are others.  As to this so-called anonymous model, in spite of that it
represents  opinions contrary to yours, those of  Del and Ron O.,  surely you
can see it must represent differences in experiences, observations and
perspectives.
     I will state categorically that this model proposed by myself and JD is
highly grounded in a scientific approach and thoroughly embodies well
established  physical principles.    This  thread, was taken up by me, at
least, in reponse to numerous posts indicating flexion at the bridge as being
the principal driver of soundboard motion and subsequent conclusions being
predicated upon this notion, something I think is plainly incorrect.   I have
suggested trying a particular test  and asked for comments pertaining to the
behavior of a soundboard when a tuning fork is set in vibration while being
attached to it by a slack wire, J.D. suggests the use of a six foot rod.
This appears to not worth the trouble by the proponents of your point of view.
      I have no emotional attachment to either model and no axe to grind for
either but I am highly attached to the facts as I  see them, and the
implications that flow from them,  whatever they are;  those constrain me to
this point of view.  Whether a
concept is in opposition to your views or those of Del, or Ron O. or anyone
else, is of little consequence and certainly not offensive to me as I similarly
take no offense at opinion contrary to mine.  To avoid the tedium of repetition
then I say we should simply acknowledge that we disagree on these points.
.

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Once again, your response shows that you do not understand at all,
> >since there has been no discussion in this thread of compression
> >waves in the soundboard and the strings.  What is under discussion is
> >the waves that pass through the bridge.
>
> No, what is under discussion is what moves the bridge and soundboard.
>
> >You talk of "my" theory as though I had dreamed it up out of thin air
> >without any scientific evidence and as if I were claiming some
> >novelty.
>
> Then who's theory is it if not yours?
>
> >On the contrary I have challenged you (in a part of my
> >message you have avoided reproducing) to produce one serious URL,
> >such as a University site, in support of what you are claiming.
>
> Oh, sorry. Since you only asked that once in passing, I mistook it for just
> another diversion and didn't give it much weight. As far as I know, there
> isn't one. You see, the strings moving the bridge is my own theory, dreamed
> up by me, based on sound mechanical and physics principles, so it isn't
> likely to be on a university web site anywhere. Oddly enough though, two
> piano designers, builders, and fellow rebuilders who have against all
> apparent odds actually given it some thought, seem to hold similar
> views.
> Imagine such a thing! Two different people who have spent years studying

Surely, you must not think this is unusual for people that contribute to this
list.