Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:39:58 +0000

At 9:49 PM -0500 12/22/01, Erwinspiano@AOL.COM wrote:

>        Participants in this discussion
>        I must say I have found this thread more than a little
>tedious. Has any of  you ever occasioned upon a bass bridge impinged
>severely on one end or the other against the plate. If you have then
>this should settle some of this debate. The tone suffers seriously
>without bridge movement. End of discussion!!!!!!!
>         Dale Erwin--- Sorry real tired

I'm afraid you might have to get tireder, Dale.  Noone is stopping
you from ignoring the thread, just as we're all free to ignore other
tedious threads.

Your argument settles nothing because noone is claiming that a
restriction of bridge movement and consequently of soundboard
movement will leave the tone unimpaired and noone has denied that the
bridge must move in order for the soundboard to do its job properly.
What is at issue is whether the strings move the soundboard by
displament of the bridge, and the answer to this question is
fundamental to an understanding of the acoustics of the piano.

JD