Birdcages

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:59:27 +0930

Hi John,

Ever had one of those days when .;]=-@#$%^&*() . sometimes I bite too hard
without thinking.

I once had a copy of the Army, Navy Catalogue which was an English of all
the goods you could buy from this store in 1907.
In this book they mentioned pianos in several price ranges. Pound 45.00,
Pound 75.00 and 115 Guineas. In those days if they charged the price in
guineas it was top quality stuff. A Guinea was One Pound and one Shilling.
In Australia, before decimal currency came in Piano Tuners were charging 3
Guineas which was a professionals price for work. To go to $7.50 to tune a
piano was a loss of prestige, made us the same as plumbers and electricians
and we KNOW that we are professionals not trades persons.

Back to the point.

A 45.00 Pound piano was the equivalent to about one years wages and were
sold by the thousands, to about every second household. These pianos were
just pianos and could be allikened to the Baldwin Monarch pianos of the
50's. Worked for a while then  - - - - - - .
The next price of pianos came from solid piano shops and were a quality
piano that worked as they were supposed to and lasted to this time in
reasonable condition (subject to play and care) these are the pianos I often
refer to as they are more common in this country. The upper bracket of
pianos are as rare as Bosendorfer, Bluthner, Steinway, etc are in the
average household.

At that time the cost of a piano (apart from the reseller's profit) was
divided 50.50 between labour and materials so you could see the better
workmanship in the cabinet as well as the action and the piano.

The cheaper version generally used quarter cut Birch for the tuning plank
which were prone to splitting and other problems, 1/2 and 3/4 iron frames
and assembled with hot glue and no screws or screws that are too short to
hold properly.

So, never buy this birdcage makes sense to me, but the other two ???

I always say to a customer before you buy a piano, new or used, get me to
check it out properly then I can advise according to the individual
instrument without bias.  But then again I am one of those people that
prefers the tone of the older piano the newer hard hammered, stiff
soundboarded, mass produced kiln dried trees that are on the showroom floor
6 months after the tree in cut down. so maybe I am biased already.