Bass String Splice

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 11:20:40 EST

In a message dated 12/23/01 8:12:47 AM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com (Farrell) writes:

> When a bass string breaks just above the winding end on a low-end/older
> piano (like within a half-inch or so), what do you do regarding the splice
> decision? New string? Unwrap some of the winding and splice? Clearly, better
> piano, more demanding client, gets new string. But what about the "just fix
> it for as little as possible" situation?

This situation often means that the player plays very heavily, regardless of
the kind of music.  A glance around may tell you what kind of music is
played, if not, ask.  If it's classical, you'll see many books of advanced
literature, mostly Romantic.  If the player plays Rock & Roll, Boogie Woogy,
Jazz or Gospel, the damper pedal may also need maintenance.  These kind of
players often use it as their "Bass Drum".  In a particular style of Jazz
that comes from New Orleans, this is the norm.

Once you have one string gone, there may easily be more.  One may break
within a short period of time after you have made a repair or replacement.
You may easily be blamed for it and the customer will probably think it is
the one you already repaired or replaced.  Indeed, the one *next* to the one
that broke may be the next one to break because until the unison was
restored, the single remaining string took all of the force.

Take a look at the hammers, are there deep grooves?   If so, tell the
customer that the reason for the breakage is metal fatigue that can be
mitigated be filing the hammers.  I have a few situations in my clientele
where this has come up recently.

By asking about it on this List, there was an important point I remember,
made by Newton Hunt.  That is, metal fatigue is *not* reversible.  So, once
this process has begun, actions you may take such as filing the hammers will
not cure the problem, the best they can do is cut down on the major factor
which is causing the strings to break.

As for the splicing, yes, you are correct in peeling off a bit of the winding
to give you the space you need to make the splice.  There is a serendipitous
side effect to doing this, however:  Peeling off some of the winding (let's
say, 3/16") increases the inharmonicity of the string.  Tying a knot in the
speaking length decreases it.  If you are lucky, the two will cancel each
other out.  Otherwise, your spliced string will create an irresolvable tuning
problem known as a "snarl".  The mismatched inharmonicity of the two strings
makes tuning them as a unison practically impossible.  The worst problem also
with so-called "Universal" String replacements is that the *Inharmonicity*
will not match.

Sometimes, you can just let the spliced string be there as a permanent
repair.  If you do the splice well, you will take pride in your craftsmanship
each time you see it there and witness that the unison is functioning
normally.  If the piano is modern and under production, particularly if under
warranty, you should order a new string and leave the splice as a temporary
repair.

By the way, I don't bother with Universal Strings for the reasons you cite.
I would admit that any in many cases, you could get a Universal String to
work, but I don't consider that to always have a complete set available is
worth the trouble.  I either splice or order a new replacement.

If I want to order a replacement for a string I am replacing and the
dimensions are not known, I measure the adjacent string carefully and supply
the figures to the string winder.  In most cases, you'll have to insert an
offset figure into measurements of an adjacent string:  the Hitchpin to start
of winding will be different but the core diameter, outside diameter, and
winding length will be identical.  Make measurements carefully!

For these individual replacement strings, I always use Schaff piano supply
because the company is nearby and because their product is always well made.
If I need a replacement made by measured dimensions, I just call them from my
cellphone and ask for the String Winding Department.  If the piano scale
design is well known and they have it on file, I can get a replacement within
a day or two that ranges from satisfactory to perfect.  I can't recall a
single time in more than 25 years that I was ever disappointed with a
replacement string from them unless it was *my* error in ordering.

Lastly, don't expect a spliced or replaced string to stay in tune.  Tune a
spliced string 10 cents (a gentle beat aurally) sharp and explain that it
will go flat of it's own accord.  It may settle to a point where it does not
disturb the customer.  Either make an appointment to retune it in 2 weeks or
tell the customer to call you after two weeks if it is still not satisfactory.

For a replaced wound string, make sure you do all of the things that will
release the unsettled points which will cause the string to go flat.  Pull it
up to pitch and beyond by 25 cents (a rapid, sour sounding beat, aurally),
tap the coil, squeeze the beckett, (close the gap), tap down the loop at the
other end and at the bridge points (lightly, don't use heavy force that may
damage the bridge), apply a few stretching techniques such as pressing on the
string, making sure not damage or mar it, then tune the string up to +25
cents (or a rapid beat aurally).

You can leave a mute to temporarily silence the sharpened string.  This is a
particularly good idea if you will return in a short period of time.
Sometimes, you may have a customer who is aware enough to remove the mute
after a short period of time and can call you if retuning the unison is
necessary.  In a few cases, you'll have a customer who has a tuning hammer
and a mute and can maintain that unison but is not capable of tuning the
whole piano.  I encourage the customer, in that circumstance, to do whatever
is possible.  (You know you'll be back when there is some work that is
worthwhile).

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin