Universal Bass String Deadness

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:40:12 -0500

It sounds like you have a good storage solution. If your top seals well, =
you could even put in a dessicant if needed. I wish I could fit a 6' 6" =
pipe into the trunk of my mid-sized car!

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe And Penny Goss=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2001 7:30 PM
  Subject: Re: Universal Bass String Deadness

  Hi Hazen,
  About ten years ago I got a 6 inch plastic pvc pipe about=20
  6' 6" and put a solid cap on one end and a screw on lid on the other. =
Becuase the strings sealed in they are no longer exposed to the changes =
in weather and humidity. I find that the strings have developed far less =
discoloration than they use to.
  Out weather causes strings to gather moisture if left outside
  due to condensation.They ride with me in the Windstar and are never =
taken out of the van.
  I also like to work with the string that is a little straighter.
  IThe strings are also organized into three groups of sizes, 50 through =
90 thou, 90 through 100 thou, and 100 up
  The strings are tied in a bundle with heavy cord at the ends and in =
the middle.
  Once in the tube (that can be tricky) they are only removed one at a =
time for use as each string is tagged with a micrometer number at the =
loop end and are easy to pull out of the tube. the tube holds about 200 =
strings.
  To remove a string the whole bundle must be out of the tube about a =
foot.
  Joe Goss
  imatunr@srvinet.com
  www.mothergoosetools.com