Bluthner

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 19:11:27 +0100

Newton !!

You are the Bluthner expert arent  you ??...:)

Ran into an oldie... the kind with the 4th string in the two
treble sections. The lowest of these sections had the back
length (if you can call it that) muted off with a felt
strip. I dont seem to recall that is supposed to be there.
Both sections seem really dead. If you pluck the strings at
what I suppose you would call the speaking length, they are
very deadish... no real sustain to speak of

The piano otherwise seems reasonably ok. Nice sound really.
But I was curious about these extra strings. How they were
supposed to sound quality wise. Anybody wanna fill me in ?

For your edification.... this is Bluthner # 93969. I nice
looking oldie. I suspect its been rebuilt at some time.
There was a couple soundboard shims for sure. But the lady
said she'd had it for nigh on 60 years, bought it used from
a private person and that in the time she'd owned it no
major work had been done.  Aside from some dirt inside, it
was quite cherry really. Plate felts looked quite new.
Red.... Didnt Bluthner always use blue felt ??

Hmmm..

Anyways... I am doing a quick action cleanup and bench
maintainance routine and will deliver the action back next
week. So any good advices are welcome.

Happy New Year everyone by the way !! :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.