SAT III bass tuning

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 10:29:48 -0800

Terry,

I thought "direct tuning" the bass would yield more accurate results than
the FAC derived bass stretch tuning, so I followed the instructions for
"direct tuning the bass" on page 32 of the SAT III manual. I like it because
where the FAC method listens to the double octave 5th (6th partial) while
tuning (most) of the bass, the direct tuning method finds the best
compromise between BOTH the octave 5th, AND the double octave 5th, before
tuning the lower bass note. Most of the time, the bass is too sharp using
FAC, even after adding some DOB, say .03-.05., or in one case, a Steinway B,
as much as 1.4 was needed to flatten the lower bass note until it was
sounding right! so I thought I'd try direct tuning the bass as an
alternative method to FAC.

Terry