Bluthner

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:54:26 -0500

Hi RIchard,

Happy New Year!

The back scale was always muted on these pianos, at least the ones I saw
were.  The 4th section aliquot strings are tuned as either a fifth above
or an octave above.  Measuring (by eye) the length will tell you.  Don't
expect to get them super clean with their respective notes because the
shortened notes do not have the same inharmonicity.

Since You cannot pluck the strings and get good tone then there is no
tone ot be had.  You have bridge, soundboard and/or rib problems that
can only be solved with removal and replacement.  Check bearing, crown
and glue joints.

My recollection is that some had good sustain and some did not.
Production problems?  Durability?  I don't know.

Lots of luck with this one.

		Newton