eliminating rust #2--oopps

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 08:53:49 -0500

At 08:01 AM 12/29/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Phil;
>  Rust in your area is a fact of life and the best thing to do, in most=20
> cases,
>is to leave it alone. The polished surface on music wire has 'some'=
 inherent
>rust resistance but this is a long way from being 'rust-proff'. What you=
 have
>is "Polita" which has been used for many years in rust removal. Although it
>works well in rust removal it also leaves a more scratched/etched surface=
 and
>inevitably leads to more rusting and this sooner than later.  Some of the
>Scotch Brite=A9 products will do a better job and leave less of a mess. I
>prefer the 'white' and/or 'grey' pads for this work....actually I prefer=
 not
>to mess with rust at all since it needs to be in 'very' advanced stages
>before there is any tonal degradation anyway......
>my view.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

If the customer wants cleaner strings, use grey Scotch Brite.  Steel wool=20
makes too much of a mess.
The plain wire under the bass strings is in the shadows and you can get by=
=20
without rubbing them.
The polita can be used for stubborn spots. (If the bass strings could use=20
twisting,
she may be better off with new strings altogether). Don't forget to dry rub=
=20
the bass strings as well.

Now comes the ambitious part...a wire wheel chucked into an electric drill=
=20
will get the bulk
around the tuning pins but you will need a Dremel tool and a fistful the=20
small wire wheels
to get in and around the tuning pins and hitch pin area.

Of course you can sell her a string cover to prevent moisture settling on=20
the strings and a DC
to keep things drier.

Is she prepared to spend over $500. to get her old wires spiffed-up?

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net