It's Gonna Be Good

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 13:07:32 EST

In a message dated Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:36:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, larudee@pacbell.net writes:

> Terry,
>
> Did you decide to sell her the string for the entertainment you might derive
> from the experience?  You sure didn't do it for the profit you are going to
> make.  Has she already asked for instructions on how to do it?  She's bound to
> say you sold her the wrong string.  Are you going to charge her for the time
> she's going to make you waste?  What were you thinking?
>
> Paul Larudee
>
> Farrell wrote:
>
> > In two and 1/2 hours, a lady is going to come by my shop today and buy one
> > universal bass string for her K&C upright piano. I warned her in very strong
> > terms that training and experience are needed to custom fit and install
> > them. She is coming anyway and her friend and her are going to install it.
> >
> > It takes all kinds I guess. Geesh. I'll let you know the bad news as it
> > develops.
> >
> > Terry Farrell

Don't underestimate the practical abilities of our customers. Why not sell a bass string? Let the customer figure out how to install the thing. If any thing, it will make them appreciate what we do for aliving. If she is successful in putting the string on, and tuning it, she will apprecaite what you did, and call you for more work, or more parts. Who knows, she might become a piano technician. Is that wrong? How did some of you start?(don't answer that).

I've sold bass strings, elbows, hammers, shanks, keytops, etc. The customers came to my store or shop, took a few minutes of my time, chatted a bit, and I made a few bucks. What's wrong with that? haven't any of you done the same thing when it came to reparing a light fixture, or a stove, or your car?

Wim