Ronsen hammers: was Chickering rebuild -- touchweight.

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 00:37:10 -0000

Paul:

I've gone to 3:1 lacquer on Steinway hammers for the reasons you describe--I
always needed two passes with 4:1.  (of course, it depends on the lacquer
you use and the solids content.  I am currently using Maclac clear gloss
high solids lacquer diluted with acetone).  The sets tend to be week
starting around f, f#, g in the 5th octave and I usually thouroughly
saturate the hammers from there up.  Two or even three applications in this
area is not unusual.  Often the top of the piano will need an additional
application.  Going down in the tenor I have started to apply the lacquer
from the side so that I can get it under the strike point (I find that
unless the lacquer gets under the strike point it is relatively
useless--shoulder applications that stay out on the shoulders make no
difference).  I apply the lacquer from both sides and keep it 1-2mm away
from the strike point with the gap getting larger as I go toward the
tenor/bass break.  (I spent some time experimenting with the side
application to get a feel for the amount needed for the proper penetration.
I would make an application from both sides, wait a minute or two and then
cut the hammer open to see if it penetrated all the way to the center.)
Going down in the bass I keep the lacquer away from the strike point in the
upper bass but let it creep closer in the lower bass, especially the
monochords.  I find that going in through the side allows me to get the
lacquer where I want it without it leeching to the crown where I often don't
want it.  If I have a concert piano and want to get a little more bite, I
will put a thin line across the crown (you need a small applicator for
that).  If I then have notes that are too loud on a hard blow in the tenor
or bass, I insert a needle straight down into the strike point going fairly
deep.  I try to listen to each string and address them individually if there
is a noticable difference.  I am more cautious bringing down loud notes in
the treble, testing each string of each trichord, being careful not to kill
the note.  I always file off the bass side corner of the hammer to avoid
pinging with the shift pedal and refine at different levels with shallow
needling in the crown.

David Love