Positioning Plate/Action

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 16:50:38 -0500

I am trying to optimize plate height and location in a small grand. I have
no idea where the plate was originally (plate was not in piano when I got
it). The thing was apparently installed originally too high and shifted over
toward the bass end. The only area I am not sure what is the best comprimize
is up at note 88 (of course!). Having pushed the plate all the way forward
in the case, I have a speaking length of 52 mm and a strike point about 9.5
mm from the termination point at the capo. If needed, I can slide the plate
toward the rear about 5 mm, which would then give me a speaking length of 47
mm and a hammer strike point about 4.5 mm from the capo. I probably could
move the action a little bit, but I am pretty sure that the action is
sitting where it was supposed to, or at least where it originally did - and
I'm not sure how it would work with the fallboard - I have about a 3 mm gap
between the keyslip and the key front.

Anyone have any input on whether I should go with a 52 mm or a 47 mm
speaking length? Or best way for me to decide? If it is likely that the 52
mm speaking length and 9.5 mm strike point combo is right in the typically
good functioning ballpark, I'd rather stick with that - it will be easiest
for me. Any input?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida