Positioning Plate/Action

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 15:09:06 +1100

Terry,

Terry wrote;

>I am trying to optimize plate height and location in a small grand. I have
>no idea where the plate was originally (plate was not in piano when I got
>it).

If you are building new bridges or recapping, then you will be able
to vary the height of the plate to suit other requirements, such as
the action geometry, since you will be able to set the new bridge
heights to obtain the desired down bearing. If you are retaining the
original hammers, the plate (and in particular the strings at their
strike point) will need to be located at a distance (height) from the
key bed to enable the hammer shanks to pass through an optimum arc of
travel during the key stroke. For example, if the plate is set to a
lower position than that to which it was originally set (assuming
that the original setting was appropriate), then the hammers will
contact the strings with the hammer shanks in a lower position than
previously. This will place the jack/roller contact further away from
the line of centers, resulting in increased action friction. If you
are replacing the hammer set also, you might choose to alter the
hammer boring distance to set the hammer shanks to an appropriate arc
of travel for optimal action function.

>The thing was apparently installed originally too high and shifted over
>toward the bass end.

You may need to determine if the bridges were positioned towards the
bass also. If so, it may be simpler to reinstall the plate in the
original position, since the string lines from the bridge to the
hitch plate may be misaligned if the plate alone is relocated. It may
be wise to run a thread through the string lines for the first and
last note of each string section with the plate installed in its
proposed location, to check the relationship of the bridge string
sections to the plate. Of course, if you're fitting new bridges you
will be free to relocate them along with the plate. Furthermore, the
action stack and strike line may have been installed to suit the
original misalignment of the plate also. If this is the case, you may
be creating more problems than you will solve by moving the plate
across.

>The only area I am not sure what is the best comprimize
>is up at note 88 (of course!). Having pushed the plate all the way forward
>in the case, I have a speaking length of 52 mm and a strike point about 9.5
>mm from the termination point at the capo.

A 52 mm speaking length at C88 will work, but the strike point at 9.5
mm from the capo will not allow the note to speak effectively. Our
225 piano has a C88 speaking length of 53 mm. We found that the
strike setting which produced the highest sound pressure level was
between 2.5 to 3.0 mm from the capo', optimally 2.75 mm. If you
position the plate for a 52mm speaking length, you will be unable to
move the keyboard enough to correct the strike, since it would run up
against the key slip, and there would be excessive clearance between
the fall board and the black notes. While alternatively you could
reduce the hammer shank length by 6.5 mm to arrive at a satisfactory
strike, this is a major change (there may be insufficient space
between the hammer moulding and the hammer stop rail). You may find
it easier to move the plate away from the stretcher by at least 3 mm
to reduce the C88 speaking length to 49 mm which will bring the
hammer strike point back to 6.5 mm from the capo' (Steinway Hamburg
historically set C88 at 53 mm in the D - the most recent D we
measured [circ. 1999 piano] had a C88 length of 49 mm). You may then
be able to correct the strike by mounting the hammer 3.5 mm along the
shank towards the center (I am assuming that the optimum strike
position is 3mm - this will need to be verified by moving the action
backwards and forwards as the note is struck).

>If needed, I can slide the plate
>toward the rear about 5 mm, which would then give me a speaking length of 47
>mm and a hammer strike point about 4.5 mm from the capo. I probably could
>move the action a little bit, but I am pretty sure that the action is
>sitting where it was supposed to, or at least where it originally did - and
>I'm not sure how it would work with the fallboard - I have about a 3 mm gap
>between the keyslip and the key front.
>
>Anyone have any input on whether I should go with a 52 mm or a 47 mm
>speaking length? Or best way for me to decide?

Be aware that repositioning the plate will also alter the string
scale. For some instruments, which might originally have been strung
beyond a safe percentage of breaking strain in one or more string
sections (anything over 60% is already in the danger zone), further
lengthening of the string scale (by moving the plate toward the
stretcher) might aggravate a likelihood of string breakage. When
considering a possible plate position, it may be good policy to
measure the first and last speaking length of each string section,
graphing them on a speadsheet to determine the percentage of breaking
strain. You might also wish to investigate the inharmonicity effect
of any plate reposition on the scaling, although this is getting
beyond the scope of a straight repair and into customising -
nontheless it is an interesting area to get into. With the setup in
your particular piano, it would seem more appropriate to set the C88
speaking length to a lesser length if possible (say 49 mm), to
minimise the necessity of major action changes.

>If it is likely that the 52
>mm speaking length and 9.5 mm strike point combo is right in the typically
>good functioning ballpark, I'd rather stick with that - it will be easiest
>for me.

As mentioned earlier, I doubt that a 9.5 mm strike will work with a
52 mm speaking length. While you could shift the entire action stack
on the key board to retain the 52 mm speaking length, positioning the
hammer to the optimum strike point without altering the shank length,
this would involve a recalculation of the action geometry between the
key and wippen. A new wippen heel depth would be required and the
capstan and wippen heel would require relocating to satisfy the
action geometry requirements. This work might require more time than
a small piano is worth. If you are rebuilding a longer quality piano
it may be worth the trouble. On the other hand, if you're keen to
learn this stuff without exposing yourself on a high value piano, it
may be worth the educational experience. After all, getting half paid
for a job while learning a lot may be worth it. I'm doing this very
thing at present with a sound board modification on a Yamaha G2. To
those of you on the list who are waiting for the pics of the
modifications I haven't forgotten you. I expect to be emailing them
soon.

All the best with the project Terry.

Regards,

Ron O