Positioning Plate/Action

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sat, 03 Feb 2001 21:30:30 -0800

Terry,

I am coming in late on this but am wondering if, in addition to the 52mm
length (good choice), you have also checked to see if whatever passes for a
capo is actually linear, without bends, curves and/or deflections toward
what would be the keybed as you move upward from the tenor to the top
treble?  If things are truly as screwy as they seem to be, you might need
to try to work out the plate height from whatever you can reconstruct of
the proper regulation of the action.  I think I would set some samples
throughout the action, and then set the plate height using sample "strings"
(maybe 12 or 11.5, something light enough to not cause problems, but
sufficiently heavy to not deflect too much while measuring).  Someone used
to make/sell large flat head machine screws with allen sockets that were
great for this kind of thing.  The screws would (sort of) self-thread into
the holes for the perimeter plate screws, then the plate was set on top of
them, and the allen key could be used to adjust the height of the
plate.  Quite inventive, and a real time saver.  Traditionally, for S&S,
the plate height (for the treble) was measured at note 62 (with the
assumption that the capo was quite straight).  I cannot speak for how other
makers do this.

Best.

Horace