Positioning Plate/Action

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 09:20:12 -0500

Thanks for your input Ron.

> This work might require more time than
> a small piano is worth. If you are rebuilding a longer quality piano
> it may be worth the trouble. On the other hand, if you're keen to
> learn this stuff without exposing yourself on a high value piano, it
> may be worth the educational experience. After all, getting half paid
> for a job while learning a lot may be worth it.

That right there is the jist of what I am trying to do here. When you really
look close, it is amazing how sloppy some of these pianos were put together!

> I'm doing this very
> thing at present with a sound board modification on a Yamaha G2. To
> those of you on the list who are waiting for the pics of the
> modifications I haven't forgotten you. I expect to be emailing them
> soon.

Could you put me on your list for pics please?

I don't want to modify the action on this one (customer is not paying a
nickel for action work), so I will restrict my play time to the plate.
Jockying things around a bit more in the shop and considering the scaling
factors and strike point, I think I am going to slide the plate back just a
bit and go with a speaking length of about 48 mm. That way I get a strike
point about 3 mm back from the capo (should be OK, plus I have a little room
for keyboard movement/adjustment). I have found that it will also help me
with string/bridge alignment, plate screw alignment, etc. I think all-round
it will work best. I find this actually quite a bit of fun to consider all
these different factors and how they will play out in the end. Maybe after
about 30 years of doing this (hmmmmm, I guess I'll be 76 years old then)
I'll actually be able to process all that in a coherent manner!

But I gotta start somewhere.  :-O

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida