Aliquots

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 04 Feb 2001 22:27:38 -0600

>The piano I am redoing has individual aliquots made of metal half
>round stock that are 0.104" high by 0.2995" wide by 0.5" long.  They
>actually are a chord of the circle that I estimate to be 3/8" in
>diameter.  (anyone out there want to do the math?)
>
>There are four of these missing (I lost one) and I would like to know
>a source of such stock so I can cut the lengths I need and send them
>off to be plated.  I don't want to by 5280' of this stuff either.
>
>I started to cut my own from brass stock but the bandsaw blade broke.
>
>Someone?
>
>Thank you.
>		Newton

While I'm not all that sure that I qualify as someone, I'll take a whack
anyway. 4*0.5+saw kerf is still less that 2.5" total. Either take your 3/8,
or 5/16 rod to the disk or belt sander and MAKE it see things your way, or
set the drill press up with a rotary file and a clamped down guide block
with a appropriately sized hole drilled through it horizontally and, with
the drill press ginned up to "back to the future" speed, feed the required
2.5" of rod through the hole, past the rotary file, and into the land of
half round (or less). Cut to length, etc. You know how it works from there.

Now if I only had a use for all that keen sparkley brass "flocking" that
results.

Ron N