S&S "L" Damper felt

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 21:25:51 -0700

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 12:56:24 -0800 Horace Greeley <hgreeley@stanford.edu>
writes:

> Hi, John,
>
> Over the years, the Yamaha felt, while pricey has more than paid for
> the
> difference in the quality of the end product, for me.
>
> Also, be aware that S&S has changed the ordering of dampers (numbers
> and
> placement of flats and wedges), especially in the tenor over the
> years.  I
> always try to cut a few extra wedges to have some room to maneuver
> if what
> was on the instrument seems inadequate.
>
> There has been quite a bit on damper related things lately, which
> might
> bear some looking at, too, given the symptoms you describe.
**Been there, done that in that I have all those posts that were worth
keeping saved here.  Thanks to the list I have learned a lot more than I
knew about dampers and for that I am very thankful.
  Since
> you have
> to take things apart anyway, how about rebushing the guide rails,
**That is one of the other operations that will be performed on this
instrument. ie.dampers and damper guide rails rebushing.  Where does one
get the correct felt for that guide rail.  This one is NOT double bushed
as some S&S pianos were.  I know that S&S sells that felt, but is there a
better one out there and who has it?

John Fortiner
Billings, MT.
> and
> removing some of the excess tension/friction (which might be there)
> from
> the damper wires?
>
> Best regards.
>
> Horace