Grey Market piano (was Re: Yamaha U1)

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 22:55:24 -0600

>...Sorry to tell ya, but not only was that U1 made in '64/65, but it is
>also a
>dreaded Grey Market specimen!
>
>Terry Peterson

Terry, List,

I've read many comments for a year or so on what's called Grey Market
pianos, and have worked on at least two to date, and witnessed a very nice
C5 at our last month's Piano Technicians Guild chapter meeting.

Brian, in his post, said, "I've just tuned a very nice Yamaha U1...", so
this one must be a pretty decent piano as well.  Thus far, the only thing
I've found dreaded is some of the negative opinions spoken or posted about
them.

What exactly am I missing that others seem to profess so freely?

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild