rim supported soundboards tesnion resonator rods

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:29:31 -0500

I really have serious doubts in my mind about the validity of the little
demonstration at the conventions, you know the one where they take the
little stick of spruce between secure ends, have a little crown bent in it
at rest between those ends, and insert a business card at one of those ends
and show how much more crown has happened in that little stick of spruce.

It's a fun little thing to show, but I really don't know how much that
concept, the arch supported crown, bears any similarity in a piano.

Just a couple of things that come to mind.  That ain't much of an arch!
Seriously, if you want to get into measuring things, measure how long the
soundboard is across the length of that crown, and then measure how long
that soundboard is across the same length without the crown.  It ain't a
whole lot different.  And for those who work with soundboards, as in shaping
and building, do you realize how soft even Sitka spruce is?  All you have to
do is drop a pencil on it while you're working over it and there's a dent in
it!  Spruce is soft.  And it will compress, especially under the load of a
half ton or so of downbearing.  (This might be another place to put in a
little plug for rib supported crown!)  Any difference that the ol' tension
resonator might make in the actual crown of the board, I would think, would
probably be temporary at best.

All that being said, I do like the 'tension resonator' that M & H used(s?).
I think it makes for a very solid support system for the rim by tying it all
together very solidly.  And I suspect that THAT is one of the things that
makes these pianos so wonderful to work with.  The more solid the rim of a
piano, the better termination that soundboard has as it attaches to the rim.
This is a good thing!  Ya know, I'd love to hear what a piano made out of a
concrete rim would sound like.  Only thing, I have a feeling we'd have
trouble finding piano movers!

'Nuff comments from the peanut gallery.  (Just some random thoughts
anyway...)

Have a good day, folks!

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA