Grey Market

BH bholden@wave.co.nz
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:56:13 +1300

To John and List

Grey Market is a term that I am not entirely familiar with here in New =
Zealand.  I have always assumed that it applies to an item that bears =
the name of a certain manufacture, but has actually been made (even =
under license) elsewhere and is often a lower quality and cheaper item.  =
E.G. I have a Fender guitar, but it is not a "genuine" USA model - it's =
made in Japan.  It does not quite have the bite of a USA Fender and is =
around half to two thirds the price, but it is a Fender nevertheless.  I =
would class the guitar as a grey market model, but when I bought it, I =
was aware of this.  If an instrument bears a name, but the quality falls =
well short of that name, then I would consider the marketing of that =
item to be very grey indeed.=20

Perhaps other New Zealand techs are able to enlighten us (or correct me) =
on this.=20

Brian Holden