Positioning Plate/Action

Meyer Carl cmpiano@home.com
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 21:03:47 -0800

Del:  I wasn't trying to bad mouth Baldwin's plate mounting system. I think
it was a good idea.   The reason I didn't think it was so good for
rebuilders was that if I understand it, after you've set the plate height,
maybe even before you've planed the bridge, you install the plate mounting
bolts, you can't change the height without removing ALL the plate screws,
repositioning the plate and reinstalling ALL the screws, and compromising by
one screw thread.  If you are in a factory setting, if you are close enough,
you ship the dam thing.  A rebuilder wants to get it right.

I know you"ll. say "Set it right to begin with", but not doing this every
day like they do in the factory, I might just get it wrong.  I can readjust
w/o removing all the screws.

Newton:  I share your admiration for Jim Coleman.  Eleven dollars for a
machined part is fair.  My hanger bolt is so cheap I can't remember what I
paid for them.

Paul:  I didn't really understand your post, but when you referred to a
milled surface, I lost interest.  I don't have a milling machine.
I do have a hacksaw.

Ron:  I'm glad you found 4 inch set screws.
Here in silicon valley I could only find 3 inch.
We concentrate on miniaturization here, you know.  Not like farm machinery
in your area.
I'm glad to know they are available.

Now that I've read all the responses to this thread I'm even more convinced
that the hanger bolt approach is the best.

I also understand that the resistance to that approach is (((( IT'S TOO
SIMPLE  AND IT'S TOO CHEAP))))

Think about it!!

Carl Meyer