Sostenuto regulation

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 23:18:14 -0600

>... If the blade were only slightly engaging the damper levers in the
>first place I can understand how the lever being propelled too high could
>come down just as hard and make it's way past the sos. blade...
>Greg Newell

Greg, List,

If the blade was only slightly engaging the tabs, which are located on the
underlever top flanges, and any selected notes were able to do what you
have described, this would indicate the sostenuto blade does/did in fact,
need adjustment as well.

With the damper system and the sostenuto system properly regulated, the
only way an engaged sostenuto note can get below the blade is by releasing
the sostenuto pedal, if there is a broken tab, or if the tab is loose.  If
there are other ways, I do not know of them at this time.

Please keep in mind this thread is about a Steinway sostenuto system which
I am only addressing.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731