Poor man's adjustable plate screws...

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:57:32 EST

Newton:
Several years ago, several of us went out to NIU to adjust the height of a
nosebolt on a D. I was the one elected to crawl under with the wrench while
the others stood around the piano; all I could see was their feet and lower
legs. As I began to turn the nosebolt out, the wrench slipped and banged the
underside of the piano, and when I looked out again, all I could see was
three pairs of legs disappearing around various doors and corners in the room
as the rest of them scattered. It was a chuckle.

The upshot (no pun intended) was that we were able to decrease the bearing by
about .006 in the melodic areas, and create more singing tone. Older now, I'm
not sure I would have the temerity to try it again. But there is tolerance in
that long a run of cast iron.

Paul R-J