Horowitz

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 22:51:22 +0000

Hi,

We once had the Horowitz grand in our store, and I got to play it for 8 days.
I didnīt tune it or meddle around with it  (no microwaving parts etc.)
because this was before my piano tech days.

Well, at the same time the grand was here András Schiff held a concert in
Reykjavík.  My father tuned for that and I went with him (to meet
Schiff).  After I forced him to autograph my "Trout Quintet" CD I told him
that the Horowitz grand was in our store.  I asked him whether he knew that
instrument and if so, how he liked it.

His reply:  (with a thick Hungarian accent) "Yes, it was ugly"

What I didnīt know was that he went often to visit Horowitz and play for him.

I found the grand was quite comfortable to play, but it had been impossible
for other pianists to perform on it before, so they changed it.
Stupid, that WAS the attraction.

Kristinn

P.S. If you ever see the crate (big sturdy custom made thing), perhaps you
can find my name there and a heart and a former girlfriendīs name.  And
HUNDREDS of other names.  I couldnīt resist, not any more than when I
played one E on Chopinīs piano in  Valldemosa... freaked out all the German
tourists... but who wouldnīt?