Grey Market

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 19:48:51 -0600

>So, what I'd like to ask you, Roger, about these three pianos you have
>brought to this list's attention as being an expensive lesson is this:
>1) When did this purchase take place?
>2) Was there a grading system in operation at the time of purchase like
>Garrett's post has mentioned?
>3) If there was a grading system in place, were you aware of it before
>purchasing these three pianos?

Hi Keith,
              They were sold to me as second grade, with clean cases.  I
fully expected to hammer, shank and rebush keys.
It was about 3yrs ago. the pressure ridges on the boards is what sent the
alarm bell off for me. The were stored over the winter at 20C and 30% RH.
this is the winter conditions of our store, controlled.
Not unusual to get 10% RH in an institution in this neck of the woods
during the winter.
Yes the grading system was in effect, and I paid accordingly.
I was fully aware of the grading system, but there is a big difference from
supplier to supplier. Or shipment to shipment.

In our dry climate the purchase of these instruments is a real can of
worms. Most of the reputable dealers have stopped handling them, due to the
problems encountered.

My main beef is with dealers that will tell a customer that the piano came
from Vancouver, implying it was a Canadian market piano. They are not quite
lying since it was unloaded from the boat in Vancouver docks. The other
senerio is that it was traded in on some inferior brand of piano. This is
just bear faced lies.
Typically this type of dealer does nothing to the instrument, and quickly
doubles his money.
If I had to resort to this type of marketing, I would be out of retail in a
flash.

ALL pianos from my stores are fully prepped, with an after sales package.
And that is the way it will continue.
If we cannot offer a 5 yr warranty on a used grand, it is sold as is with
full disclosure, right on the price tag.

Hope this clarifies my position.
Regards Roger