Grey Market

Anthony G Caught caute@bigpond.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 16:17:38 +0930

Hi John,

The USA has very similar climates as Australia and I agree with what you
have said. We suffered the same problem with Yamaha pianos. And yes they do
kiln dry the timber to different moisture content for different areas.

At a Piano Tech Conference in Camberra in 1992 ? The Yamaha rep was asked by
many a tuner about the problems with the pin block.  Nice to tune but on the
loose side.  This problem was addressed and now as far as I'm concerned,
they are too tight. Then again maybe I am just getting older.

I know that at one stage Yamaha Aust. made a mistake and brought into
Australia a pile of pianos that weren't the tropical type and the have made
good lots of warranties on these pianos.  (These were the cheaper pianos)

I would think that Yamaha decided to make pianos for three different
climatic conditions, the same as Dampp-Chaser now make their systems for
three different climatic conditions.

Logic would say that because USA covers all these climates that Yamaha
supply pianos of the right moisture content for the majority of the people
(or pianos sold).

I was not reffering to the pianos for different conditions as the sales
pitch in my post, I was reffering to the "imported Yamaha pianos" as the
anti sales pitch.

Regards

Tony Caught
Australia