Grey Market

Anthony G Caught caute@bigpond.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 16:43:12 +0930

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the info, I thought it was for three climatic conditions. I
queried Yamaha on this point at one stage about a Yamaha CF model.  The
piano is in Alice Springs (the centre of Australia) where humidity can be
very low, MC in pine gets down to 5%.  The Answer they came back with was
that the tuning pank was dried to 12%MC and the soundboard to 8%MC.  This
was by phone conversation. I would love to see in writing from Yamaha
exactly what the differences are.

A lot of pianos were also imported from Endland to Australia in the past
also covered with industrial smog (how can people live in it ?) these pianos
also broke down after being in Australia for some years.  Sometimes I think
it is not the manufacturered MC's that count as the MC's the piano is
subected to in the next ten years. (Of seasoning)

I have been told by one importer of these pianos that you have to go to Japn
and pick the pianos out for yourself, the dealers or not to be trusted.
(And he was Korean.)

And as you say, they pick out one climatic condition to cover all of
America. If all the Yamaha pianos where made in Japan I bet that they would
be sending all three types to the USA to cover the areas that they suite.
But because they are assembled in the USA for USA consumption, there is only
1 type.

Business is business. That we understand, but we are supposed to be
technicians who know all the ins and outs on the subject. And how much do we
know. ?

See ya in October ?  Coming to Darwin to see the crocodiles are you ?

Regards

Tony Caught
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au