Hunting the Natural Beat

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:59:26 EST

Richard:
I think that you are right about language confusion, and most of the problem
there rests with Virgil who may be trying to the cut the cake into perfect
fifths with a single carving knife. In other words, to have it both ways. I
think there is a fundamental (ha!) category mistake here. Virgil should not
be using language appropriate to the propogation of wave interference
(beats), but perhaps some other category of terms which would more
comfortably encompass his neologisms.

As far as measuring these formant tones, I should think that the right tools
could do so; much depends on voicing; if the voicing is not just so, then the
formant tone mixture would vary, thus I think that formant tone recognition
becomes another of those subjective arenas which may defy terminology or
specification; on the other hand, there may be a generalizable area in the
middle ground to work with. I wish I could spend more time on experimental
stuff.

Does this resonate with you?
Paul Revenko-Jones