Hammers and Stanwood

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 13:56:03 -0000

Dear Ed,

Strike Weight is a way for measuring hammer weight after the hammer is hung.
  It's a radius-weight measurement like down weight and up weight except it
is applied to the shank/hammer componenet.

for a drawing of the set-up for strike weigth go to:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/swsetup.gif

It may also be measured before hanging by measuring Shank Strike Wt:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/ss.jpg

Shank Strike Weight plus Hammer Weight equals Strike Weight

When we refer to strike weights being high-medium-low we refer to the zone
delineators I published in the PTG Journal.

Here is a graph for reference:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/sw-zones.jpg

required reading for informed conversation that I've written on the subject
of touch weight components:

"Mastering Friction with the Balance Weight System"
PTG Journal - November 1990

"The New Touchweight Metrology"
PTG Journal - June 1996

"Standard Protocols of the New Touchweight Metrology"
PTG Journal - February 2000

"Looking at Grand Pianos Through the Eyes of The New Touchweight Metrology"
PTG Journal - March 2000

"Component TouchWeight Balancing - Blueprint for the Future"
PTG Journal - April 2000

Also,.... shank strike weights usually average around 1.8 grams so if you
want to translate strike weight to hammer weight just subtact 1.8.

So if you have any questions or discussion about touch weight it's important
for you to supply DATA!!!!

Hope that answers your question and raises some new ones....

David C. Stanwood