Virgil's naturaL beats

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:15:41 EST

In a message dated 2/11/2001 12:31:16 PM Central Standard Time,
Billbrpt@AOL.COM writes:

<< However, from a practical point of
 view, there is nothing to prevent any interval from being *perceived* as
 beatless.   >>

Bill:

You've hit the nail on the head. It is the whole area of perceived
beatlessness that is problematic even for those who agree wholeheartedly with
Virgil. What indeed is perceived beatlessness? I suspect that the answer
falls more in the psychoacoustic realm than in a tuning theory realm. This
makes it no less real, no less effective in the real world, nor any less real
as a reportable sensation by Virgil or any other listener, technician or not.
But it does beg for a category shift and language clarification. How the
individual chooses to hear is purely that--individual. Neither way of hearing
is better or worse. Nor does either way of hearing create necessarily a
better outcome; the whole idea of "tune-offs" has always had just a bit too
much of the carnival sideshow for my taste. Be that as it may, we need to
look at this phenomenon in a context that allows for clear terminology and
specification.

This is all to the good, Bill. Thanks.
Paul R-J