Virgil's naturaL beats

Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:47:21 +0100

While I will aggree that finding the right set of terms and language to fit the
concept, I am not so sure that we should jump right into declaring Virgils
"natural beats" as falling in whole into the category of psychoacoustics. For
that matter it seems like psychoacoustics is not exactly a totaly isolated field
to begin with. Just how much of this is or is not measurable is at the moment an
unknown and we are speculating at answers me thinks.

A couple of points... the cancelling out effect that Bill talks about is not
simply a matter of perception. If you fool around a bit with signwaves and a
wavegenerator you will quickly find this "effect" is real and tangeable enough on
its own. Very easy to "see" happening as well. Secondly its not hard to accept
the idea of this same affect being applied directly to differing intervals to
achieve some predictable result. If that is first possible...then it seems hard
to imagine that we could not come up with some kind of visual representation
similiar to ETD's to help us identify when such an optimum cancelling effect is
present.

I think sort of that thats whats happening with the use of the 1,4,5,8 as a
sounding base to tune a double or triple octave to the 1. Think about the
following for a second.  Using the 1,4,5,8, to tune the 16. What have we got in
terms of partials... just take the lowest coincidents to keep things simple. Now
I am going to take a little leap into the blue on this one so bear with me... The
4th and 5th relate to the 1 8 and 16 in sort of an opposite sense (the 4th wide
to the 1, the 5th narrow and so on). True we are dealing with different
coincident frequencies.. but they are all common to the octave sequence. I have
no problem seeing a very real possiblity that these differening frequencies can
be subject to these same canncelling effects and that an "optimal" combination
would  result in what Virgil calls a "beatless (natural beats) octave"  and that
further this "optimal" coincides with a well tuned octave. ( grin... I know ... a
mouthfull)

If we are going to figure out for sure what Virgil is talking about... we have to
be willing to admit to the possiblity that there is something there to look for.
This may include something very tangeable.. or it may not. We wont know
untill..... we know...grin.

As to your point about voicing.  You do throw a wrench into the works dont you...
:) I am not sure tho that voicing can change the frequencies of partials as much
as their volumes.... and I am not at all sure that a sumnation of "changed"
partial frequencies would then add up to show any significant difference.
Virigils concept is rather  wholistic in nature.... we need to look at coincident
partials in that same light if we are going to figure him out. The only way to do
that is to start putting many of them together and looking at their behaviour
instead of looking at each of them individually as we presently do in our work.

Grin.. I just gotta send this without too much proof reading... my brain is
aching...

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.