Frozen key dowells

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:52:14 -0500

>Hi List,
>I had forgotten, but a couple of years ago, I was looking for
>some of these
> wires, to replace some that had rusted off.
>I couldn't find them in the catalogues, so I used some from old
>keys I had.
>They don't seem to be named, in Piano Parts and Their Functions,
>either.
>The wood dowel capstans, without wire, are available. Has anyone
>seen the wires
>listed?
>Regards,
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi John,

I've been frantically searching for my old D.M.Best catalogue where these wires were listed. One is 2-5/8" long and the other 3-5/8".

Back in 1965 when I was young and stupid, I bought a little of everything. I still have four of the short ones and 13 of the long ones.

The key dowells came in five sizes from one inch to 2-1/4 inches. One thing I had never noticed until now is that the bottom holes in the dowells back then were larger than the wire diameter. These breaking Kawai dowel wires are a little thicker and would be a good fit..... if only they were strong enough!

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, ON  Canada