Virgil's naturaL beats

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:10:39 EST

In a message dated 2/11/2001 3:03:35 PM Central Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

<<
 :) I am not sure tho that voicing can change the frequencies of partials as
much
 as their volumes.... and I am not at all sure that a sumnation of "changed"
 partial frequencies would then add up to show any significant difference.
 Virigils concept is rather  wholistic in nature.... we need to look at
coincident
 partials in that same light if we are going to figure him out. The only way
to do
 that is to start putting many of them together and looking at their behaviour
 instead of looking at each of them individually as we presently do in our
work. >>

You are absolutely right. Voicing changes the partial spectrum mix by
amplitude not frequency. What this means is that, depending on the voicing,
one or another mix of formant partials will be predominant for use in tuning.
PR-J