Frozen key dowells

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:28:18 -0500

At 12:08 PM 02/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >I have been reading this thread and for the life of me, can not figure out
> >what a key dowel is. The capstan?
> >
> >Terry Farrell
> >Piano Tuning & Service
> >Tampa, Florida
> >mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
> >
>Yeh, Terry, you got it in one..... almost!
>
>I know I threw you with the extra "l" (that's old English). You thought it
>was "do-well" at the end of the key! But in my limited vocabulary, the
>dowel is the wooden thing on top of the wire which (the dowel) adjusts up
>and down. A capstan is the same thing "cept it is made of metal.
>
>So someone please tell me, what do we call the wires that come out of the
>back of the key to accommodate the dowel for it's these wires that are
>breaking?
>
>John Lillico, RPT
>Oakville, ON

That would be the 'capstan wire', I would think.

Dowel type adjusting executions can also be found on many aggravating
let-off regulating apparatae,
these types should have the top end of the dowel beveled as in
semi-pointed, like being eased into
a pencil sharpener; so a tool to adjust the jack rest regulating button can
be eased in without undue
process.

But who am I to say...

Jon Page,   piano technician