Whacking

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:20:29 -0700

Bill, Do you treat all pianos the same gentle way?
Pianos just out of the crate as well as pianos that have been in service =
with the same strings for years?
Also pianos that are recieving a major pitch raise?
Joe Goss
imatunr@primenet.com
http://www.primenet.com/~imatunr/

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Bill Peterson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 5:25 PM
  Subject: Whacking

  I really do not know why anyone whacks on piano keys.  If you learn to =
set a pin, you can use a medium blow, which will never hurt your hands =
or fingers.  I remember going to tuning classes with the big names at =
the state conventions and never hearing about blows hard enough to be =
harmful.  I think that extremely hard and fast whacking is only used to =
impress yourself.  I do not want my piano roughed up in that manner.  I =
do know several tuners that never use hard blows, and they do excellent =
stable tunings.  Unfortunately one of them is dead. =20

  Bill Peterson, associate South Bay Chapter