action bedding

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:56:16 EST

In a message dated 2/12/01 6:48:30 AM Central Standard Time, hsrosen@gate.net
writes:

> Too often I am faced with an action that needs a straight forward adjustment
> to mate with the keybed. The typical noise bothers me but not the customer.
> In this scenario, the piano is usually of low quality and I feel fortunate
> to have taught the customer the responsibility of twice a year service. So,
> I hesitate trying to sell work that he/she finds unnecessary.
>
> Often I do a little here and there repairs when I tune, as a service to my
> loyal customers. I'm talking about stuff that takes 5 to 8 minutes of extra
> time beyond the tuning. But bedding an action will take a lot longer if done
> right by removing the stack using paper strips under the bedding screws etc.
> I choose not to do this if I'm not going to get paid for it. Is there a
> quick trick that you might suggest?
>
> I vaguely recall a class on this but since I am over 40, I tend to be
> forgetful. Something about raising the front of the action and inserting
> long strips of paper. Any help on this ?????? Thanks
>

> Howard S. Rosen, RPT

Howard

Very seldom do I have to make major adjustments in the action frame to get it
to seat properly. Before you do anything drastic, just try adjusting the
glide bolts. Most of the time that is all there is to it. Also, be sure the
cheek blocks are bolted down firmly. They hold down the action frame, and if
they are not tight, you'll hear knocking.

Willem