newbie questions: stretching

Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:24:03 +0100

Charles Neuman wrote:

> Is stretching the high treble an art or science? That is, do you balance
> the single and double octaves by whether or not it "sounds good", or do
> you go by a specified amount of stretch in cents? I've heard both
> opinions.

Neither, both, or either depending on who you are and what you are after I
would guess. For me its both and I sure wish I was better at both aspects...
but then I suppose I, like most tuners will always feel that way.

> If it's more of an art, I would imagine there are those who favor the
> single octaves and those that favor the double octaves. Is this the case?
> Also, do performers ever specify the amount of stretch they like?

We all have our tastes... the trick is to be consistant. I rarely run into a
performer who has the slightest snuffs of what kind of stretch they like....
at least not consciously.

> As for the bass, I'm finding that if I tune the bass notes at other than
> beatless octaves, it sounds muddy and out of tune. But then I get those
> horrible sounding 10ths, which I know I should expect. Any advice on
> balancing these two problems?

No matter what you do you will be able to find sounds that you are not
pleased with. The stretch applies to the bass as well, along with the varying
tastes as to just how much is desireable and at what cost. And again the most
important thing is to be consistant in what you do.

Its very easy to show that two tuners can tune very much differently yet both
be very adept at tuning evenly and consistantly... doing exactly what they
set out to do. They dont neccessarily even have to like each others style...
or understand why they dont like it. The answer very often lies in varying
tastes for stretch... with all that entails about what kind of behaviour in
different coincidents they like. Or.. I suppose you could just as easily say
the difference between two tuners lies in what "colouring" of octaves and
other important intervals they like.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.