temperaments

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:46:30 -0200

Charles, and list;

At least a couple of us on pianotech subscribe to the Alternative
Tunings mailing list, I think now at its fourth home this time with
Yahoo! and filed curiously under the songwriting category. This list can
be highly technical, and it's a fertile space both for new developments
in tunings and research into historical schemes - often with many more
notes than twelve to an octave, if, in fact the tuning includes an
octave. The following is Mark Nowitzky's greeting and description,

> This mailing list is intended for exchanging ideas relevant to
> alternate tunings:   just intonation; paratactical tunings;
> experimental musical instrument design; non-standard equal
> temperaments; MIDI tuning system exclusive specs; concert postings;
> gamelan tunings and other non-western tunings; historical tunings;
> the experimental tunings of Harry Partch, Lou Harrison, Martin
> Bartlett, James Tenney, and so on; software reports;
> recordings; books; research sources, etcetera.
>
> Happy retuning!

I have no idea what a paratactical tuning is.

Clark