Technical answers to Dale Erwin & List

Vilsnyder@AOL.COM Vilsnyder@AOL.COM
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:20:40 EST

We were fortunateto become friends with Seigfred Hoffman, Director of
manufacturing for Renner Co. in Germany.  We had been unhappy with the great
amount of glue being used between the underfelt & the top felt in their
Hammer. This glue did in effect decrease the amount of felt that was usable
as a tone  producer on the Hammer & decreased the dynamic range , plus caused
"hard" sound on a forte blow. We sent him samples of Hammers that were made
many years ago that did not have any glue between the under felt & the top
felt,
Barely a 1/4" directly on top of the center of the Molding. He surprised us
by saying, "that is the way we made Hammers, years ago". & so they no longer
have glue at that location.  The other problem wefee is that some of the
Hammer
sets are being hot-pressed too hard & it is killing the resiliency of the
wool. After
all the reason that wool works well on a piano Hammer is because of the
ability
to bounce away from the String. Try  holding some Hammers from a height &
dropping them on a hard surface & you will finf that some kinds will bounce
better than others. The other most important requirement of Hammers is that
they
wear well under sustained use & I think you will find that not all of them do
wear
well. I wish that they did not bleach the wool, but, we can't have
everything!  I will
give a report on the Ronsen Hammers. They are good people & come from a long
period of time in the Hammer making industry.
We have sizeable backlog of signed contracts on hand & all of it is with
private
customers. They are all complete remanufacturing jobs, with no "cut corners".
Takes a long time to get "there".  This piano Tech List is wonderful!. Yes,
it is
having "growing pains" but it is very helpful & keeps us in touch with each
other.
As for "having fun", I can't wait to get up in the morning & get my hands on
somebody's piano, because I know that it will be better after we are done.
Just
think  of this: The customer invites us into their home, treats us with
respect, allows us to do what we enjoy (work on the piano) & then when we are
finished, they PAY US!!. What a system.  I will try later to write some info
about Piano
Plate suspension system (Baldwin), as I was responsible for the granting of a
royalty free use of their system to RPT's in their rebuilding.  More
later-Will