newbie questions

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:37:32 -0700

    Richard Brekne wrote:

"Its very easy to show that two tuners can tune very much differently =
yet both
be very adept at tuning evenly and consistently... doing exactly what =
they
set out to do. They don't necessarily even have to like each others =
style...
or understand why they don't like it. The answer very often lies in =
varying
tastes for stretch... with all that entails about what kind of behaviour =
in
different coincidents they like. Or.. I suppose you could just as easily =
say
the difference between two tuners lies in what "colouring" of octaves =
and
other important intervals they like."

    I agree, and that is why different tuners (technicians) like or do =
not like other technician's tunings. It's a matter of taste, and style. =
Both are purely subjective. Some technicians, when tuning a "pure" =
octave, think it sounds dead, flat and lifeless. The other tech upon =
hearing the pro-stretch tuners work, might say, "Oh my God, how can you =
leave an octave sounding like that."
    Of course, Richard did say it better. I just thought I'd second that =
thought.