Virgil's Natural beats

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:30:02

Hi all,

Just now catching up from a busy weekend.  This topic is of great interest
to me as well.  When I first joined the guild a few years back the speaker
at the first meeting I attended was Virgil Smith.  I remember thinking that
"that guy doesn't know what he's talking about, but really tunes a nice
piano."  Now I didn't know anything about Virgil, or the guild at that
point.  It was really hard for me not to "throw the baby out with the
bathwater".  But the fact remained, that was a nice sounding piano.  I had a
chance to sit down and plink a little, and I liked what I heard.

Part of the introduction of Virgil's presentation talked of his past as a
piano performer and student.  He took up tuning out of frustration with the
quality of tunings he was finding.  So I think people are on the right track
when they talk about using "musician" ears, rather than "technician" ears.
Then, it should be possible to work backwards to see if the tuning choices
can be replicated looking at the individual partials, or the interation of
the same.  As an aside, I've noticed over the years that performers will
prefer sounds that tuners may not.  One example is the rebirth of
alternative temperaments.  Another example is a piano in my care (one of two
onstage), an older Stieff, that has a lot of 'zing' in the back and front
section of strings that makes tuning a challange, but the performers pick
that one a lot, over a newer piano with a 'simpler' sound that is easy to
tune!

So, to get to the 'natural' beats.....
I think we're going to need some data here.  I really like graphs, and
enjoyed the article by Jim Ellis in the journal.  Since his graphs showed
that there CAN'T exist truely beatless octaves, we need to see how beatless
'natural' octaves look.  From using RCT, and doing a bunch of graphing
myself, I've noticed that there is sometimes a difference between what is
calculated, predicted, and what ends up on the piano.   Virgil has always
said that the problem with the edt's is that they only focus on one partial.
  Recently, again with RCT, I've been tuning 'problem' pianos by calculating
multiple tunings using varying partials to tune with.  I've found that I can
get more 'harmonious' octaves in my final pass with this method. Yet this is
still tuning by only one partial.  We need to see what is happening before
we can replicate it.  Virgil hears it, and is trying to explain it.  Beats
within beats?  Combinations of beats?  Cancelation of beats?  Voodoo?  Just
because the terms are ambiguous, or we don't understand how it works yet,
doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The fact still remains..... that was one nice sounding piano.

Ron Koval

Chicagoland

.