pitch drop :was Virgil's natural beats

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:01:31 -0600

>Hi Ron
>This can vary from pianao to piano, but I do see a regularity of this
>happening .The two notes on either side of the treble strutt seem to be very
>sensitive
>to an increase in tension ,and usually need a few passes to settle down.This
>is also in the area of the sharpe bend in the bridge(Grand).Do you think
>this could have an effect?With a slight humidity change ,this is an area
>that is always effected.
>
>Regards
>Murray

Hi Murray,
Yes, but what we're talking about is something altogether different. When
tuning a unison, the apparent pitch drops as the second and third string is
added in. Mute those strings, and the first string is still at pitch. Open
the strings again and the unison pitch again drops, even though the unison
is in tune within itself. Very strange. This happens mostly in the killer
octave area. Yes, that's where the sharpest curve is in the bridge, but
that's also where the "tuned" front and rear duplexes start. I think the
bridge curve is contributory to the long term tuning instability in that
area, as well as soundboards tending to go flat there first, but not to
this unison pitch drop effect which happens immediately upon tuning in the
second string of the unison.

Ron N