ETD question re: unisons

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:37:54 -0600

Hi Muray,
               The test was done on a newly strung and hammered piano,
regulation set with very close letoff. etc.    Each string was sampled 10
times on the spectrum analyser to ensure the partials on each string were
close. Also verified by ear. Each string was tuned several times for full
blush on RCT, .01cent.  The test was done with back and front duplex scales
muted.
The piano was a really nice Steinway O.  But I have have had similar
results from my SD10.
Several notes were done in this manner each showed a drop of 0.2 - 0.3 cents.
And yes you can just hear the shift when checking the octave. .3 cents is
very audible within the unison
To do this test all string temination points have to be in good condition.
Ron is slowly winning me over, re a connection to either impedence, or the
reverse, reactance.
Some serious study of the principals of reciprocity is badly needed before
we can begin to start to understand what is going on.
Traditional piano thinking has been to look at the effect of loading with
respect to the impedence of the board.  Mechanical reactance (I think )
will be looking at the boards effect on the strings.
They are not nessesarily the same.
The subject is so complex that it would make a great PhD project.
Good to hear from you.
roger