Greetings from Iceland

Carol Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:40:12 -0500 (EST)

I arrived in Iceland safely, and was delighted to meet our Kristinn and his family.  His father is also a piano technician and has developed methods of voicing we have never heard of!  I am looking forward to seeing these techniques when I return to Rekjavik in a few days.  Right now, I am at the Northern part if Iceland at Lake Myvatn where the American plate and the European plate converge under my hotel room!  The local flight here was unbelievable, as the flight was delayed 12 hours until it was "safe" to fly.  The turbulence was so bad, that even with a seatbelt securly fastened, eveyone on board has their butts lifted out of their seats.  These Icelanders are remarkable people as they just yelled like on a rolling coaster ride, while i just prayed ferverently and tried to keep my cookies.  i really surprised these people arenīt more religous!

No one in the United States has seen weather with an attitude like they have here.  It doesnīt do you any good to look out the window to see what the weather is like because by the time you get to the door to go out it has changed!  We started out last evening to drive 10 minutes into the "countryside" (moors) in sunlight, and by the time we got there were heavy storm clouds.  We are having a wonderful time.  Surprisingly your feet donīt get cold here.  No one wants to shovel snow and ice, so they put hot water pipes under the sidewalks!

Iceland has to be the best-kept secret in the civilized world.  It is cleaner and friendlier than Switzerland, totally different from the U.S. and yet most people speak fluent English!

If I live long enough to get home, Iīll post some comments on just how nice we have it with the PTG.  There are only 5 or 7 piano technicians in all of Iceland, and they do not communicate with each other!  What a shame to work in such isolation.  We are so luck to have one another!

Hope everyone had a good Valentines Day!

Carol Beigel