Dee Dee Bridgewater

Sat, 17 Feb 2001 23:09:53 +0100

Dee Dee Bridgewater was in town tonite and I got the call to do
the piano. A beautifull well kept never been moved from its first
home  Hamburg D. Great fun. Its been a while since I have done a
real concert job now. "Real" meaning a full blown concert hall
with a well behaved audience. It was kinda nice being on stage
again if you get my meaning. Thats how it always feels to me
anyways... when the tuning counts... everyone can hear and gives
a damn.

She had a hot trio (french me thinks) with her. In particular the
pianist / hammond organ player was dynamite. This fellow had some
moves that will just plain blow any jazz enthusiast away. And he
had some really cute tricks as well. He actually had the grand
sounding like a banjo for a short stint in a song where the
affect fit just right.

Towards the end of the nite the inevitable "piano tuners
nightmare" song came up. You know the nice slow melodic one that
features the piano player with beautiful long sounding single
tones..... after an hour of banging away. Piano held up well and
I was tickled pink of course.  All in all a wonderfull nite. You
gotta catch this ladies act.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.